Re: String name and Character Name

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 22:49:22 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > I am well aware that names cannot be changed or replaced. But there is
    > nothing in the Unicode stability policy which rules out deprecation of
    > the entire list of character names. And I have only seen one previous
    > response which has specifically opposed this proposal.

    I specifically oppose this proposal.

    There are over 16,000 character names in the Unicode Standard, even
    after factoring out the mechanical ones like CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-4E00.
    Roughly how many of these are so hideously wrong that it justifies
    throwing out the entire list?

    If we are talking about FHTORA and BRAKCET and Tamil visarga/aytham and
    Latin OI and a handful of others, that is less than 0.1% of the entries
    in UnicodeData.txt. The overwhelming majority of character names are
    just fine.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/