Re: String name and Character Name

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 03:11:32 CST

    At 10:40 +0300 2005-04-20, Erkki Kolehmainen wrote:

    >It never occurred to me even as a remote possibility that no
    >reaction to this proposal could be interpreted as support by anyone,
    >including the originator.

    Many years ago when I first began working with the Universal
    Character Set I advocated name changes. OI was obviously misnamed,
    and should have been GHA. There were others.

    I learned quickly that asking for those kinds of changes was
    pointless, and dedicated my energies to working for the changes which
    could be made, and which made a difference.

    Does BRAKCET irritate? Well, we all are responsible. Canada, China,
    Finland, Iran, Ireland, the US.... None of our committees read the
    names list carefully enough when this was under ballot. And the UTC
    missed it too.

    Fortunately, a little bit of wit will lead people to recognize that
    the development of the Universal Character Set, like many endeavours,
    is undertaken by human beings, who are prone to error.