Re: String name and Character Name

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 08:47:04 CST

    On 23/04/2005 14:39, Hans Aberg wrote:

    > It strikes me that one can assign multiple character names to
    > characters, if only there is one which is a preferred one. This might
    > be used to correct errors. In a file such as "UnicodeData.txt", one
    > might merely add new lines with the new character name, declaring that
    > in a translation from code point to character name, the last name in
    > the list is to be used.
    >
    > So, say one wants to correct "BRAKCET" to "BRACKET", then the new
    > version of UnicodeDATA.txt will look like:
    > FE17;PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL LEFT WHITE LENTICULAR
    > BRACKET;Ps;...
    > FE18;PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL RIGHT WHITE LENTICULAR
    > BRAKCET;Pe;...
    > FE18;PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL RIGHT WHITE LENTICULAR
    > BRACKET;Pe;...
    > FE19;PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS;Po;...
    > If somebody refers to U-FE18 as "PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL RIGHT
    > WHITE LENTICULAR BRAKCET", it will be recognized, but if the character
    > is first translated into its code point, and then back to a character
    > name, one gets back "PRESENTATION FORM FOR VERTICAL RIGHT WHITE
    > LENTICULAR BRACKET". Of course, this last name will be recognized as
    > well.

    Even if this is acceptable under the stability policy, which would
    surprise me, it does not solve the problem. For many of the character
    name errors are of the type that a name which has been wrongly given to
    character A should have been given to character B. And this type of
    change does not allow the name to be reassigned to character B.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)