Cursor-Movement was: German Umlaut and other precomposed characters

From: Peter R. Mueller-Roemer (pmr@cs.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 08:38:52 CST

    Several precomposed letters are necessary for easy typing in German,
    Skaninavian, Greek, Hebrew ... see the different keyboard-layouts.
    Unicode was good in intoducing combining diacritical marks, so that you
    don't necessarily have to use a different keyboard for just entering a
    few words in another language.
    But why do all the precomposed Hebrew dagesh-consonants refuse to be
    composed with vowel-points AND cantilation marks - You can' even copy
    the first word of the Masoretic bible!
    What we need though is good editors that can not only compose characters
    with several diacritical marks - without overtyping (e.g. accute + grave
    should not merge to a smugy little x ), but find and replace the
    sequence by a single precomposed letter. With the result that composed
    sequences are counted for cursor movement as single characters. There
    should also be an easy way (e.g. by Alt Gr arrow) to enter into any
    precomposed letter to insert or delete any marks.
    Unicode might not like to address standardization of cursor-movement in
    multi-lingual texts with RtoL and LtoR entry, shaping and editing of
    combining sequences.
    Leaving it to the editor-providers individually will cause head-akes to
    those who have to use various OS and SW on several computers.
    There should be a technical committee of concerned parties to provide at
    least guidelines, for shaping, editing, navigating over and in combining
    sequences and in bi-directional texts. the present state is very
    unsatisfactory!

    Peter R. Mueller-Roemer