Re: Transliterator

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 10:31:27 CST

    John Wiedenhoeft wrote:

    > ... which brings me to a general question (sorry if this is a stupid
    > one, but I'm really new to this): there are letters encoded in unicode
    > that could also be composed with combining marks etc. - I suppose it's
    > because these letters are in use in some language and should be typed
    > with a single keystroke (ä, ö, ü etc.).

    That is not the reason (there is no reason why multiple character codes cannot be entered
    by a single keystroke): these precomposed diacritic characters are encoded in Unicode to
    enable one-to-one mapping compatibility with pre-existing standards.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com