Re: String name and Character Name

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 10:09:27 CST

    > Jon Hanna said the following on 2005-04-27 04:51:
    >
    >> [Klammeraffe] It does indeed. Is there a user community that makes
    >> much use of it?

    Well the German, I suspect. But why the German word only ? I don't mind
    it if all languages have their favourite nickname for @

    I propose thus the following annotations (non exhaustive list) :

        = apenstaartje (common, humorous slang Dutch name)
        = arobase, arrobe, escargot, a crolle (common, humorous slang French
    name)
        = arroba (Portuguese, Spanish)
        = shtrudl ("Strudel", modern Hebrew), krukhit (more formal Hebrew)
        = chiocciola (Italian).
        = grishale, snabel-a (common, humorous slang Danish name)
        = ät-merkki, (national Finnish standardization institute),
    kissanhäntä et miukumauku (common, humorous slang Finnish names)
        = xiao laoshu, laoshu hao (Chinese)
        = atka, malpa malpka (common, humorous slang Polish names)
        = sobachka (common, humorous slang Russian name)
        = afna (common, humorous slang Slovenian name)
        = snabel-a, kanelbulle (common, humorous slang Swedish name)
        = kukac (common, humorous slang Hungarian name)

    etc.

    More seriously, I believe this should go into a German name list (DIN,
    Decode Unicode or CLDR) corresponding to the ISO 10646/Unicode character
    names.

    P. A.