RE: String name and Character Name

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 23:33:40 CST

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Timothy Partridge wrote:

    > Asterisk comes from Latin asteriscus (little star) from Latin aster (star).

    Actually, from Greek asteriskos. I wouldn't mention this if it were not so
    that etymologies of character names and histories of characters are so
    often wrong or incorrect. Moreover, they are often uncertain. There are so
    many stories on the origin of commercial at "@" that people get confused
    and would not benefit much from the correct one, if there is one
    (and they could know it is provably the correct one).

    This is one of the reasons why character _standards_ should refrain from
    giving trivia information to entertain readers. I'm especially thinking
    about the note on the origin of the letter "G" in the Unicode code chart:
    "invented circa 300 BCE by Spurius Carvilius Ruga, who added a stroke to
    the letter C".
    It's completely irrelevant for the purposes of the Unicode standard, and
    not even certain (the invention has also been attributed to Appius
    Claudius in the 4th century).

    There has been some discussion about displaying the annotations in
    user interfaces for selecting characters. I don't think annotations
    like the one on "G" would be useful there.