Re: Transliterator

From: John Wiedenhoeft (wiedenhoeft@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 01:59:26 CST

    नमस्ते,

    > yūnikōḍa kyā hai?
    >
    > yūnikōḍa pratyēka akṣara kē li'ē ēka viśēṣa nambara pradāna karatā hai,
    > cāhē kō'ī bhī plaiṭaphŏrma hō,
    > cāhē kō'ī bhī prōgrāma hō,
    > cāhē kō'ī bhī bhāṣā hō.

    This seems a bit mechanical to me, because in transliteration you'll
    have to drop many inherent vowels (at the end of most words (but not in
    sanskrit loanwords, and not after y, l ...), and in a syllable before a
    non-inherent vowel (करता is kartā, not karatā), and in each syllable
    between two syllables with vowels, and...):

    yūnikōḍ kyā hai?

    yūnikōḍ pratyek akṣar ke lie ek viśeṣ nambar pradān kartā hai,
    cāhe koī bhī plaiṭphŏrm ho,
    cāhe koī bhī prōgrām ho,
    cāhe koī bhī bhāṣā ho.

    Resolving ambiguity of औ au / ऐ ai and अउ a'u / अइ a'i with an
    apostroph seems not that good idea. Using digraphs au / ai for the first
    ones to enable backward transliteration might be a good idea, if they
    can be encoded in unicode (besides, I don't think अउ a'u / अइ a'i will
    ever occure in hindi, you'd rather write अय ay / अव av).

    Best regards,
    John