RE: String name and Character Name

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 14:14:01 CST

    At 10:51 AM 4/29/2005, Andrew C. West wrote:
    >On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:40:35 +0200 (CEST), Jörg Knappen wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes, there is. ''Klammeraffe'' is a well established traditional name for
    > > the @ thing predating its use in email addresses. The younger ones know it
    > > as At-Zeichen, but the older ones still use ''Klammeraffe''.
    > >
    > > P.S. IMO, the annotation ''Klammeraffe'' should be kept. We have some
    > > german annotations to other characters, too.
    > >

    >As far as I can see only one other that is explicitly marked as German :
    >
    >U+2052 "COMMERCIAL MINUS SIGN" = abzüglich (German), med avdrag av (Swedish),
    >piska (Swedish, "whip")

    You could argue that this character has no established English name, as the
    only evidence we adduced for it was from German and Scandinavian sources.

    >Searching under "German" I also found
    >
    >U+2133 "SCRIPT CAPITAL M" = M-matrix (physics), German Mark (not the current
    >Deutsche Mark)
    >
    >Hmm, not so current any more ;)

    This annotation was added to document the fact that UTC considers that
    (historic)
    symbol unified with U+2133. The fact that it isn't in current use is a bit
    beside the point in a standard that contains Runic and Ogham on the BMP. ;-)

    A./