Re: Virama based model - a note (was: Malayalam digit zero - an error)

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 00:46:50 CST

    puLLI mistakingly called Virama in Unicode do kills inherent a to reveal
    consonant. This principle was devised because a consonant could not be
    pronuounced on it's own.
    The puLLI was clearly defined last in the Tamil Grammar Tolkaarpiyam about
    3rd century BC. It was around for a long time.

    The concept was misunderstood initially by Virama and he introuduced this
    concept in Virama to other Indic languages. These are recent events, much
    like Unicode introduce terms that are much confusing.

    There is another concept the ancient Tamil Grammar, that is called
    near-voiceless vowels, (kuTTiyal) which also defines how two consonants can
    combine in an alternative fashion, in addition to reaveling the consonant.
    This can be identified as u and e respectively in BuROOK and BeREAK, if we
    run these speech through a speech analiser.

    While on this topic, the Matrai and Matra
    Matrai was originally defined as the time taken to timly modify a frequency.
    It could be the time and frequency of a vowel or a consonant, remember
    consonants can only be voiced with vowels. So the Matrai is crudly put it, a
    timing mechanisim. For example matrai of say k and k in "kk" determines the
    phonetic value of symbols(!) "kk" and similar concept is applied for ii or
    ki, etc..

    What Matra is defined as in Unicode? I think Unicode think Matra dipicts
    dependent vowels (or combining vowels).

    Another item that breaks Tamil Unicode implementations (by wrong assumption
    of Grammar) is that Auai is not acceptable. ie, long vowels are not
    acceptable. I do not know where Unicode got this idea (Grammar) from but it
    breaks Tamil implementations in the core. This is where I think Unicode must
    forget about trying to master Grammar of all languages and find ways to let
    a free run so that things can be done properly.

    Sinnathurai