Unicode character names enshrined in a new programming language

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe (beebe@math.utah.edu)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 07:00:19 CDT

    Recent discussions on this list debated the use of Unicode character
    names in software.

    This morning, I learned of a language project, Fortress, at Sun, led
    by noted computer scientist Guy L. Steele Jr.. Fortress supports use
    of Unicode character names in software. See

            http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/view/673
            http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/

    and the language specification at

            http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/fortress0618.pdf

    From p. 105 of the latter:

    >> The expression:
    >> (GREEK_SMALL_LETTER_PHI GREEK_SMALL_LETTER_PSI +
    >> GREEK_SMALL_LETTER_OMEGA GREEK_SMALL_LETTER_LAMBDA)
    >> is converted to:
    >> ($\phi \psi + \omega \lambda$)

    (I've used TeX notation for the Greek expression to keep this posting
    in plain ASCII).

    - Nelson H. F. Beebe Tel: +1 801 581 5254 -
    - University of Utah FAX: +1 801 581 4148 -
    - Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu -
    - 155 S 1400 E RM 233 beebe@acm.org beebe@computer.org -
    - Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe -