Re: Scots, scottish, scotch (was: Re: Cyrillic - accented/acuted vowels)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 16:08:31 CDT

    On 03/05/2005 19:39, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >I believe that both Denmark and Danish are called after the name of the
    >people. Denmark, or Danemark, means the mark (march, a border district) of
    >the Danes.
    >
    >I think England too is a country named after the people, rather than the
    >other way round.

    Indeed. The original name of each of the people was Angle (famously
    confused with Angel by Pope Gregory the Great), and the country was
    originally Angle-land (cf French Angleterre), later abbreviated to England.

    But then Scotland is also named after the Scots, i.e. the plural of
    Scot. And I assume that the anglicised form Ireland is derived from some
    version of the name of the Irish people, rather than vice versa - or
    perhaps it is simply Éire + -land.

    Ironically, the Angles came from Denmark and the Scots from Ireland.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)