Re: support of numbers

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 04:53:23 CDT

    On Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:11 PM JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

    > I need to support telephone numbers (0-9) in an multilingual
    > application.
    > I would like to know if I miss some numbers, if in the Ethiopic case
    > I can assume that the first 10 values are 0-9 and how do Kharoshthi
    > support decimal entries?

    Your subsequent explanation was a lot of fun for me. Thanks.

    However, there is something I fail to understand. A number of scripts have
    various, overlapping, number systems: in general, one is semi-positional (so
    have the "digits 1,2...9,10,100,1000 etc. No zero) and then it evoluted into
    another, completely decimal (only ten digits). The main examples are Chinese
    of course, and Tamil; I believe the Babylonian and Mayan systems can be
    considered in the same category, but they are yet encoded in Unicode, and
    furthermore they use a 10/6/10/6... resp. 20/19/20/20... bases you'll not
    like.

    Then, if you consider using Ethiopian (or Kharoshti) numerations, I do not
    see why you would discard the similar Chinese or Tamil ones... and then you
    will have the problem to decide, o r to let decide, for example for Tamil,
    if one should use the "traditional" system (using 10, 100, 1000) or the
    "decimal" one, using the added zero.

    Antoine