Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 18:09:01 CDT

    On 14/05/2005 00:00, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >
    >> On 13/05/2005 22:45, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't read your EPS file attachments, but you seem to assume that
    >>> the "French" guillemots only have the glyphs shown in the Unicode
    >>> charts.
    >>>
    >> A guillemot is a bird. The marks which you are talking about are
    >> called guillemets.
    >

    > I know, but I used the English term used in Unicode names, because the
    > message was in English. I don't know if the French term "guillemet" is
    > actually an acceptable or prefered term for English too.

    No, the form used in the Unicode annotations in English are LEFT
    POINTING GUILLEMET for U+00AB, and RIGHT POINTING GUILLEMET for U+00BB.
    The Unicode names are actually LEFT/RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE
    QUOTATION MARK. The word "guillemet" appears in English dictionaries,
    but is known more or less only to typographers.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)