Re: Corrections to Glagolitic

From: Alexander Kh. (alexkh@writeme.com)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 09:13:11 CDT

    Greetings!

    Dear Michael Everson,

    I am glad to receive such a quick response from you.
    Actually I did not expect it, so please excuse my delay with
    graphical material. It will probably take me whole weekend to
    prepare a rough draft with complete list of glyphs and their
    names. My greatest concern is the accuracy of the data, so
    I don't want to post something that is half ready - my request
    is very specific, and it is in no way to be understood as an
    attempt to question someone's authority.

    One thing that bothers me is the scornful attitude expressed in the
    sentence "Discussion with the convener of ISO/SC4/WG2 indicated
    that in bibliographical contexts, probably most current use
    transliterates Glagolitic to Cyrillic in any case, and it is
    suggested that the variant characters in ISO 6861:1996 be unified
    with the basic letters." p 4 N2610R

    By saying that you are totally destroying all the imagery of this
    particular script, which is not just phonetic alphabet like such of Latin
    is. Every letter in Glagolitsa has its name and image, depengind on its
    position, and a message written in this script can have a hidden message.
    No one will argue that old Hebrew script has this ability to store
    hidden messages. Why other sacred scripts are not treated with respect?

    In Glagolitsa meaning of the whole text can depend on which "variant" of
    the letter is used. I know this is not a widely known fact, but if you
    are talking about "old script", how can we, contemporary people decide
    what is right and what is wrong there? You don't go to library and burn
    the books that are too old, right? Hopefully... But THIS is the same thing.

    Please don't get this personally. Even if somebody uses Glagolitsa as a
    fancy-looking Cyrillic font, I don't blame them. How about those using it
    to study history, like me? There is much more about that script than a
    phonetic transliteration. I hope I am not too late: I tried
    to subscribe to this list some half a year ago, but it did not work.

    Best regards,

    Alexander

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm