Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Peter Kirk (
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 11:44:39 CDT

  • Next message: Curtis Clark: "Re: Corrections to Glagolitic"

    On 14/05/2005 00:19, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > ...
    > That was the first time I saw the term "guillemet" in English. Could I
    > have incorrectly learned the term "guillemot" from unreliable sources,
    > or from other "standards"? May be it was in glyph names for Postscript
    > Level 1 fonts? I can't remember.

    Quite possibly you copied the error from others. Actually Andrey and
    Hans both used the incorrect form before you did in this thread, so I am
    not blaming you.

    > But you confirm the fact that the term is not commonly known by the
    > English public ...


    > ... (including the Adobe designers?) ...

    No excuse for these guys as they are supposed to be specialists in
    typography. But it shows that it is not only Unicode character names
    which can be messed by accident.

    Peter Kirk (personal) (work)
    No virus found in this outgoing message.
    Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
    Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.10 - Release Date: 13/05/2005

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat May 14 2005 - 11:45:33 CDT