Re: Corrections to Glagolitic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 07:20:24 CDT

    On 17/05/2005 11:50, Hans Aberg wrote:

    > It can be instructive to check the history of ASCII. See for example
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII
    > It says that the presently most widely used form is ANSI X3.4-1986. So
    > that standard has been in active use only 19 years.
    >
    > So if ASCII based software now switches to use say UTF-8 instead,
    > which does not seems to be so difficult to achieve, the 25 year limit
    > on active use may apply to that one, too.

    Thank you, Hans. But I would suggest that ASCII is already obsolete, in
    that almost no one still uses it. In practice they have long been using
    supersets like any of the ISO-8859 variants or UTF-8. Of course many
    users in practice restrict themselves largely to the original ASCII
    subset. But I consider a standard which has been supersetted in this way
    as no longer in active use.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)