Re: SMTP and unicode

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 13:52:15 CDT

    faraz siddiqi schrieb:
    > is smtp by default support utf-8 encoding

    Not exactly. SMTP supports 7-bit transmission, but there are ways around this
    limitation.

    > or i have to implement some external things to render it in correct format ?

    You have to apply a "content transfer encoding", according to
    - RFC 2045 (Draft Standard): "Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part One:
       Format of Internet Message Bodies" ‹http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2045/Output/›
    - RFC 2047 (Draft Standard): "MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) Part Three:
       Message Header Extensions for Non-ASCII Text ‹http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2047/Output/›

    > please give me some samples if u have any ,

    <http://www.systems.uni-konstanz.de/EMAIL/FAQ-SMTP.php#74>
    (And most messages you will get via this list: just look at their source code,
    cf. <http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html>).

    How will you hand in that message to the nearest SMTP server? I hope, you
    have some API to do this for you; depending on tat API, you may also have to
    assemble the whole message, complying with RFC 2822 (Proposed Standard):
    "Internet Message Format" ‹http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2822/Output/›.

    Best wishes,
        Otto Stolz