Re: SMTP and unicode

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 07:18:00 CDT

    On Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:12 AM Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

    > On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:29:11PM +0200,
    > Hans Aberg <haberg@math.su.se> wrote
    > a message of 18 lines which said:
    >
    >> Therefore, people switched to MIME, which encodes 8-bit data into
    >> 7-bit data. That situation seem to remain.
    >
    > Certainly not. I send all my email in 8-bits (not encoded) and, at
    > least when email stays in France, there is no problem.

    I got an email corrupted (8th bit reset, é changed to i, quite
    characteristical) this year AD 2005. Since I am in Spain and my servers and
    most of my correspondants are in France, the guilty server should be either
    in France or in Spain, or at least not very far away from these two
    countries.

    >> One should find a method to kill of any mail servers that still
    >> zeroes out the 8'th bit.
    >
    > They are certainly a very small minority.

    Probably.
    However, in 1999 (in France) we planned a big bang opening of SMTP with
    Japan; and the very first change we had to do was to reset the configuration
    of the French MUAs from "8bit" to "only 7bit allowed", since they were far
    too much servers in Japan or between us that cut the 8th bit.
    I was very surprised when I discovered this, but as soon as we made the
    change, the rejection rate and the complains from the users dropped
    considerably.

    Antoine