Re: Upright Mathematical Greek Alphanumeric Symbols

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 19:12:19 CDT

    At 10:33 +1100 2005/05/19, Andrey V. Panov wrote:
    >Unicode misses upright greek symbols for mathematics. For example,
    >in Russian typography all the variables denoted with greek letters
    >are always printed using the upright style.

    We just had a thread "Mathematical Greek Alphanumeric Symbols" about
    this, starting 2005/05/14. Perhaps you mean that the missing forms
    are:
       MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF
       MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF ITALIC

    The upright SERIF forms can use the regular Greek, as one does with
    the Latin letters. For the other forms, the rule is that they should
    be usable, in principle, side by side, to denote semantically
    different mathematical objects. Most pure math use the SERIF form
    only (as the original TeX fonts). In engineering, the SANS-SERIF
    appears (or so, I have a vague memory thereof). But it is unclear
    that SERIF and SANS-SERIF are used side by side. If they are not,
    then they are to be considered different styles, and should handled
    by a font change.

    --
       Hans Aberg