Re: what is Latn?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 05:42:40 CDT

    From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
    > As long as you do not tell me what is in Latn, I cannot tell you if it
    > Latn applies to French.
    > And please do not quote Unicode Character Set as a middle reference.
    > It is not an ISO Standard, and it does not fully support French.

    ????? Unicode does not fully support French ?????
    Where have you seen that? It's completely wrong. You are confused by ISO
    8859-1 which effectively does not fully cover French. But no problem for
    Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646, or for ISO 8859-15...

    Unicode is a full implementation of the ISO/IEC 10646 standard and is in
    sync with it (the characters repertoire is the same, as well as names,
    codepoints, and representative glyphs assigned to them).
    There are today VERY STRONG links between ISO/IEC 10646 and Unicode; so in
    practice Unicode is nearly part of the ISO/IEC 10646 standard.

    Note also: ISO 15924 is an ISO standard whose registry is hosted by Unicode.
    It clearly defines links between the script codes used in the Unicode
    standard (in the UCD datafiles), and the ISO 15924. I do think that in the
    future, Unicode will no longer assign its own script codes, but will simply
    use for its UCD datafiles the script codes defined in ISO 15924. The
    correspondance between the two codes is documented. So what do you want
    more?

    Note: ISO15924 defines script codes for bibliographic reference usage. They
    are necessarily more precise than scripts codes used in Unicode, simply
    because several scripts are unified in ISO/IEC 10646 with the same shared
    code points (so this is not the "fault" of Unicode). So the bibliographic
    (stylistic?) distinction between "Latn", "Latf" and "Latg" in ISO 15924
    CANNOT apply to ISO/IEC 10646 where the abstract characters are the same.
    For bibliographic references it was also necessary to add a ISO 15924 for
    the Japanese "script" which is the combination of 3 scripts in Unicode AND
    in ISO/IEC 10646...

    Really I can't understand your arguments or questions.

    "fr-Latn" and "fr-Latg" are perfect for designating French-Classic and
    French-Gothic locales, even for French documents that may contain some non
    Latin characters. Both are clearly designating the Unicode "Latin" script
    code as the *prefered* subset of abstract for writing French. (Note that I
    use the term "prefered", not the term "required"; this is not a problem
    because all that matters in the actual use of locales is a set of user
    *preferences*, not a set of requirements).