Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 13:00:37 CDT

    At 17:31 +0200 2005/05/19, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
    >Your keyboard ideas were also good. Did you pursue?

    With the Ukelele program
       http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele
    anyone can, on Mac OS X, develop their own keyboard layout. I am of
    course, mainly interested in one for math, so I do not have to use
    the drag and drop method otherwise only available via the Mac
    "Character Palette". But if one should attempt to make a universal
    keyboard layout for math, then that is very difficult, in view high
    number of characters. It is possible to use the left and right
    modifier keys independently, but then it is hard to type. It is not
    possible, to easily switch keyboard maps via the function keys,
    unless one is doing some scripting perhaps. Perhaps one should move
    away from the QWERTY layout, just listing them in alphabetical order,
    but then the letters are not so easily identifiable from a standard
    keyboard. So one is perhaps speaking about more than one keyboard
    layout, one QWERTY for backwards compatibility, and one alphabetical
    for the future, here. There is also a problem to find a suitable
    font. Many of the math glyphs are available in PS and True Type
    designs, so the problem is to get them into the right positions in a
    Unicode font.

    In the end, I wanted to use this stuff for a theorem prover I am
    writing on. I have started to implement Unicode by merely plugging in
    UTF-8 in the .l file, and it works just fine. The next step would be
    to implement Unicode character classes by the method I have posted
    here and in the Flex list. But in the end, I will have to focus on my
    programming, and taking the other stuff step by step.

    --
       Hans Aberg