Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 23:46:34 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > The only way I see to avoid stateful mechanisms with bidirectionnal
    > scripts would have been to use the visual left-to-right order
    > throughout the encoding.

    I continue to be amused at the use of the term "visual order" to
    describe left-to-right ordering of scripts that are read right-to-left.

    I thought my questions might provoke some serious and thoughtful
    free-for-all, with people breaking chairs over each other's (and
    Unicode's) heads. I apologize, not least to myself, for getting
    involved in this thread.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California