Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 12:17:02 CDT

    At 09:00 -0600 2005/05/20, John H. Jenkins wrote:
    >>I tend to think that Unicode should supply more character number
    >>ranges. The fundamental range should be dedicated to mainly natural
    >>languages. Then one could supply some ranges with less restrictive
    >>admission procedures.
    >>

    >We already have two private use ranges.

    This was discussed before. The problem with these ranges is that they
    are not Unicode ranges really, but "do whatever you like" ranges. So
    they are not really usable for anything except very private use. The
    second problem, was that when starting speaking about adding range
    with less restrictive admission procedures, folks starting got to
    worry about the limited count of character numbers available for that.

    So if the total range of character numbers is extended, and
    admissions must come with glyphs in suitable electronic format, which
    can automatically be downloaded, then one comes closer to what I have
    in my mind. People that want to write in say Klingon or Applish,
    would get a suitable range assigned for that. They would go and
    design suitable glyphs for public use and figure out suitable
    character names. Then that would be put up on the Internet, so that
    Unicode compatible programs can downloaded it at need.

    --
       Hans Aberg