Indus signs in Unicode

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 15:20:09 CDT

    David Starner wrote:
    <<<
    Likewise, I'm not trying to transcribe Egyptian walls; I'm trying to
    transcribe the works of Budge, and his set of hieroglyphics is nice,
    closed and distinct. No matter what is discovered, my needs don't
    change, and I don't see why they should be subordinate to that of the
    academics.

    In Michael Everson's mail,
    http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2005-m05/0404.html
    there is a Phaistos disk glyphs proposal
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/phaistos.html

    Asko Parpola (University of Helsinki) has published extensively
    on the Indus script over the last 3 decades. He has
    shown lot of connections with Dravidian literature
    and culturescape. Look at his many erudite publications:
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~aparpola/

    Like Budge in Egyptology, Parpola's books deal with
    Indus signs which are from the bronze age, and spread over
    a vast area (~10,000 square miles) in today's Pakistan
    and India. Parpola's books and papers use some
    elegant glyphs which are shown in
    Indus "script" proposal:
    http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/N1959.pdf

    I would like to know the current status of the Indus sign
    proposal in Unicode. Is it approved?
    Is it already in the pipeline? Though undeciphered,
    these glyphs can be encoded in Unicode, and
    fonts can be created.

    Thanks for any info on timeframe,
    Naga Ganesan