Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 17:07:19 CDT

    >It should be possible to implement multi-color obligatory ligatures by
    >creating 2 or more glyphs for each ligature, possibly with kerning. I
    >haven't checked to see whether any APIs can kern across runs or change
    >colors within a run, but that's a separate issue.

    So pretty much do we have the technology today to individually color both regular joining characters and also parts of ligatures then?

    >We are talking about rather strange cases here, so the implementors
    >might not get around to implementing them soon even if the specs were
    >embellished.

    Yes some of these cases are rare such as someone changing the font or font size within an Arabic word. I mean who in their right mind would do that :) But I think the color change case is more justified since it does not disturb the shapes and joining of the letters at all, simply change the color from the default black to some other color. Also coloring words in red for instance is a common practice found in many Quran printings.

    Regards,
    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural