Re: sub and superscripts

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 15:57:48 CDT

    On 01/07/2005 20:33, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > Still, may main question is just about single level sub/superscript
    > characters. I would think the entire scientific community would find
    > latin/greek sub/superscript plaintext quite useful. If subscript i
    > deserves encoding, why not the rest of the alphabet. Of course,
    > ideally all characters would be available as sub/superscripts; but you
    > have to draw a line somewhere, and the latin and greek scripts are
    > arguably as close to universal as it gets for the sciences.

    I rather thought that the basic Latin characters, and some Greek ones,
    are already available at least as superscripts, scattered around in
    various places - many in the Phoentic Extensions block at 1D00, a few
    under Superscripts and Subscripts at 2070. It would certainly make sense
    to fill in the holes in these sets, which are useful not just for the
    specific phonetic uses for which they have been defined.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)