Re: Old Hebrew, extra Uniscribe work (Re: Arabic encoding model (alas, static!))

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 08:22:20 CDT

    At 06:19 -0500 2005-07-07, asadek@st-elias.com wrote:

    >This would tend to prove that Phoenician, which I was unaware was
    >to be encoded, is just an archaic form of Hebrew (some ancient
    >Phoenician inscriptions would be hard to separate linguistically from
    >Old Hebrew I take it) and that it isn't really worth any implementer
    >spending time on this script.

    That isn't true. It would tend to prove that you can use Unicode code
    positions for glyphs for things other than what they were intended
    for. I am currently using Canadian Syllabics characters for a Vai
    implementation.

    The larger companies tend to focus on support for living language
    communities as their priority. That does not mean that we shouldn't
    work to encode scripts used by scholars.