RE: character entities in UTF-8 files

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 16:03:52 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Chris Jacobs

    > > We have an XML based application...

    > Only it does not stand for e acute, as far as unicode is involved it
    just
    > stands for itself, for é.
    >
    > Of course you are allowed to have agreements with your users about
    replacing
    > é by e acute or by whatever you want to replace it by.

    Since this is an XML application, then at the level of XML parsing,
    &#233 must be interpreted as e-acute; he is not allowed to have
    agreements with his users about replacing &#233 with anything else.

    As already noted, Unicode says nothing about this, since this is a
    higher level protocol.

    Peter Constable