Re: SCSU/BOCU-1 Compressibility of the Yi syllabary

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 12:02:05 CDT

    I admire Richard's thorough work on how to improve SCSU in light of
    the current Unicode allocations and roadmap.

    I have implemented SCSU (first time in 1999) and created (with Mark
    Davis) and implemented BOCU-1. Whenever I explain their benefits to
    potential users, they seem to like it, nod, but never use it.

    While Richard and Doug and Asmus and a few others and I care about
    these compact encodings, most people favor by far the simplicity and
    ubiquity of UTF-8 (and occasionally UTF-16 depending on the protocol).
    When others care at all about compactness, they take the cost of
    invoking a general-purpose compression like gzip.

    They've got a point. Simplicity and ubiquity almost always win.

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless
    otherwise noted.