"Controlled Substances" symbols

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 16:54:17 CDT

    I've noticed that a lot of pharmeceuticals which are listed as
    "controlled substances" by the US. Drug Enforcement Agency have started
    using special symbols to indicate that near their logos. They look like
    a letter C with the roman numeral I, II, III, or IV depending on what
    class of controlled substance it is. An example can be seen (very very
    badly) at http://www.lunesta.com/images/lunesta-head.jpg Although I
    said they're shown near the drug logos--and they are--I think I have
    also started seeing them in more plaintext-like settings. I need to get
    better examples, I know; I'm looking for some. But what is the thinking
    on these? I presume it would depend on the examples I can find: are
    they really in use in plain-text-like settings?

    ~mark