Re: Letters for Indic transliteration

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 11:27:14 CDT

    For the respective characters, here are the representations in two different fonts (which you may or may not see, depending on whether you have them installed).

    Code2000:
     U+090B ऋ vocalic R (Sanskrit origin) => r̥
     U+095C ड़ retroflex R => ṛa

    Arial Unicode MS
     U+090B ऋ vocalic R (Sanskrit origin) => r̥
     U+095C ड़ retroflex R => ṛa

    OpenType fonts are fully capable of getting the dot and ring placement under the r to be correct; it's just a matter of whether the font designer went to the trouble of setting it up.

    (Note that when we did Indic transliteration, we found that the ISCII specification is not fully roundtripping; we had to make some small adjustments to it. See http://ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/demo/transform.)

    ‎Mark