Re: Tamil Collation and Unicode

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 07:34:53 CDT

    Mark Davis wrote and Sinnathurai Srivas kindly forwarded to the list:

    > If you are instead submitting a request for a change in collation, then
    > the appropriate place to start is by submitting it as a bug report via
    > http://www.unicode.org/cldr/. Make sure that you indicate exactly the
    > changes that you think should be made, and cite references supporting
    > those changes. In particular, there is already a bug filed on Tamil
    > collation at http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/locale-bugs?findid=414, so
    > you can add a reply to that indicating where you agree and where you
    > disagree with the original filer.

    > (The original filer is Åke Persson,
    <snip>

    This bug report appears to address all the issues. I'm not sure what to
    make of the comment, 'To be fixed in DUCET in due course'. Does a similar
    proposal need to be made to change the default collation algorithm - this
    bug report appears to be restricted to the Tamil locale. Would the
    proposal have to be phrased as a bug report?

    I believe that the culturally most neutral sorting for the *Tamil script* is
    the Tamil sorting. (I'm not sure at what point the use of the Tamil script
    for another language becomes an affront to the Tamil language/people.)

    Richard.