Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 13:33:06 CDT

    Rick McGowan wrote:
    > For what it's worth, Peter R. Mueller-Roemer asked:
    >

    >>Would someone, please, make a formal proposal to the Technical
    >>Committee to provide space, punctuation marks and possibly more
    >>characters with both the R- and L-property.
    >
    >> apparently been no need shown for directional specific punctuation.

    Note the passive voice. ;) If you haven't seen the need, you haven't
    been looking in the right places. Keyboard protocols for Arabic are
    commonly and properly ridiculed by Arabic users.

    > In
    > fact, such punctuation would screw up the bidi model; it would make all
    > existing data obsolete, etc.

    Can you please expand on this a bit? It doesn't seem to me like it
    would be any different that any other new character; well-designed
    Unicode-enabled software should be able to handle it with minimal
    changes, if any, I would think. And why would existing data become
    obsolete if new codepoints are added? The meaning of existing
    codepoints need not change.

    -gregg