Re: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: Andreas Prilop (nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 11:28:26 CDT

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > As far as I know, the only documented usage for 1E96 is in some
    > transliteration systems for Semitic languages, such as transliteration of
    > Arabic according to ISO 233. Although Arabic does not make case
    > distinction, it is customary and normal to use mixed case in
    > transliterated words and texts, using e.g. a capital letter at the start
    > of a proper noun. Thus, I too find it strange that the corresponding
    > capital letter has no code position in Unicode and that 1E96 has no
    > uppercase mapping.

    The ISO and DIN transliteration of Arabic U+062E is U+1E2B
    "h with breve below", which has an upper-case form U+1E2A.

    U+1E96 occurs in Anglo-American transliterations - but only in
    combinations like "kh with line below", which has the upper-case
    form "Kh with line below". Therefore no "capital H with line below".