Re: Windows Glyph Handling

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 18:38:38 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:
    > I don't think it is a 'narrow-minded view', just a description of how
    > the OT *font format* specification has been written. Note that the
    > registered script, language system and OTL feature tags are an
    > *appendix* to the specification. There seems to have been a deliberate
    > editorial decision to separate as far as possible the implementation
    > of OpenType Layout from the underlying architecture of the font format
    > that makes it possible. You may criticise this decision, but I'm just
    > describing what I see in the way the specification has been written.
    I don't think the shaping layout behaviors should be part of the
    OpenType font format specification. However, the specification should be
    written in a way that gives the reader a clear clue what to read next
    after he has finished reading the spec. There are formal references in
    the OT font format specification to the Unicode Standard or to the
    appendixes you're mentioning, but I think the importance of the shaping
    behavior specs has fallen out short.

    A.