Re: Representing 'Halant R' in Marathi

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 02:15:50 CDT

    Neelesh Bodas wrote:

    >This 'r' goes as a horizontal line before y. (I am attaching an image
    >to make this point clear).
    >Can such half 'r' be represented by unicode?
    >any guidelines will be useful.

    Yes. The Unicode name for it is eyelash-ra. The representation of such
    text is described on page 226 of TUS 4.0, rule R5 (see
    <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch09.pdf>).

    varyavar:
    U+0935 व DEVANAGARI LETTER VA
    U+093E ◌ा DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN AA
    U+0931 ऱ DEVANAGARI LETTER RRA
    U+094D ◌् DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA
    U+092F य DEVANAGARI LETTER YA
    U+093E ◌ा DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN AA
    U+0935 व DEVANAGARI LETTER VA
    U+0930 र DEVANAGARI LETTER RA

    Not all engines render this correctly.

    The UTC understands that the connection between the eyelash RA and RRA
    (suggested by the representation above) is not a clear as one may wish.
    Just consider the representation of eyelash RA by RRA as a convention,
    inherited from ISCII.

    Eric.