Re: what exactly is UnicodeData.txt?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 20:40:00 CST

    Kit Peters asked:

    > I know what UnicodeData.txt contains. But what *is* it?

    It is the core data file of the Unicode Character Database:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html#UnicodeData.txt

    > I'm writing an
    > abstract, you see, and I mention in there that my research is concentrating
    > on the characters in UnicodeData.txt. I can't just say that I'm starting w/
    > the characters in UnicodeData.txt, b/c people (this is a general science &
    > mathematics poster session) won't know what that is.

    That's the wrong way to try to draw the distinction, however.

    If you are "starting with the characters in UnicodeData.txt",
    what effectively that means is that you are researching all the
    characters in the Unicode Standard other than Han (Chinese) characters
    and Hangul (Korean) syllables.

    --Ken