Re: Need help in interpreting symbol 225e (measured by)

From: philip chastney (philip_chastney@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 03:23:49 CST

    --- Gusztáv Jánvári <me@gusztav.janvari.name> wrote:

    > I’m in localizing Unicode symbol names to Hungarian, and
    > I have to translate
    > the symbol name “measured by”: I studied incredibely lot
    > of Math :), but
    > unfortunatelly I’m not sure when this symbol is used. My
    > not-too-educated
    > guess is that it is used to express that the fact of the
    > equality is
    > determined by measuring something (for example, when you
    > fill in two glasses
    > with the same amount of water and both looks like it is
    > completely full, you
    > could say, they are equal by measure).

    HAZARD WARNING: this is pure conjecture . . but the
    description MEASURED BY suggests a specific metric

    take two identical glasses and fill one with alcohol
    and the other with mercury, and you could then say
      A=B MEASURED BY volume
    but it would be untrue to say
      A=B MEASURED BY weight

    it is perhaps best to treat this hypothesis with caution,
    because the equality predicate would presumably need to be
    qualified somewhere with the name of the metric used, not
    just a superimposed "m"

    regards . . . /phil