Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 09:31:00 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    >>> Unfortunately, "Arial Unicode MS" pretends supporting Bengali,
    >>> Oriya,
    >>> Telugu and Malayalam (for Oriya, it just contains the national digit
    >>> characters, and for the 3 others it has enough glyphs but lacks the
    >>> OpenType layout and shaping tables).
    >>
    >> Your statement about Oriya and only "national digit characters" is
    >> simply
    >> incorrect, as evidenced by the attached screenshot.
    >
    > It is correct. Only Oriya digits are assigned to Unicode code point
    > poisitions. Other glyphs are not accessible from these codepoints
    > (and FireFox then fails to access to any of those glyphs). See
    > attached "charmap" screenshot.
    <snip>
    > I have the same conclusion: we don't run the same Windows.

    Something IS definitively funny here.

    OK, here is my view of the gag.

    OS is Windows 2000 sp4, regularly AU-patched.
    CHARMAP.EXE is 5.0.2134.1, dated May 2001 (from SP2, carried upward).
    GetUNmame.dll is the matching equivalent.
    UNICODE.NLS (version-less) is dated May 2001, too.

    USP10.DLL (in case it influences indirectly) is 1.325.2195.6692 dated June
    2003 (plain SP4); I guess it does not influence in any way, since it does
    not appear in the process map...

    ArialUni.ttf is v.1.01, last modified 2002-11-18 16:23:15, 50377 glyphs.

    No problem to display Oriya letters...

    > If I select Group by "All" in charmap, these glyphs are also not
    > visible, simply because they don't even have any PUA assignment.

    Not sure. With 2000, the glyphs in the PUA _are_ visible; those which are
    not are the glyphs without mapping, and the ones which mappings are in the
    "unknown" (to 2000) scripts (including Burmese, Khmer, Sinhala, in other
    words those in TUS 3+.) Oriya certainly is known to 2000.

    I do not know about XP here. However, since '05 2003sp1 also restricts
    itself to the same scripts (i.e., no way to display the Syriac characters
    from Estrangelo Edessa; now this DOES look like a bug, by the way), I guess
    all the NT 5.x should behave in very similar ways
    (LongHorn/Vista IS another beast, since at least I cannot launch LH's
    charmap.exe here!)

    > Your screenshot seems to display glyphs in a font, not the codepoints
    > to which they are assignedinternally.

    Playing around a bit, I can say at least 2000's/2003's Charmap only shows
    the assigned codepoints (and only part of them, moreover, see above.)

    Antoine

    Oriya.png