Re: Musical symbols

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 06:46:08 CST

    On 3/22/2006 4:01 AM, Cary Karp wrote:

    > Quoting Asmus Freytag:
    >
    >> I've found two musical symbols that I can not locate in Unicode. ...
    >> The other looks like a corner bracket, and is apparently used to
    >> indicate that a note belongs to a voice that's normally in the treble
    >> or base clef, but is shown on the other staff, because
    >> it's unusually high or low.
    >

    > I'm not certain what this is describing. Can you provide an
    > illustration of the symbol in context?

    I would have to dig up my example again....found it.

    It's a set of L-shaped (or inverted) thin lines with the long arm of
    the L at least as long as the stem and the short end of the L placed
    below the note head, or above the top end of an up-pointing stem, for
    the case of an inverted L shape. The entire mark is drawn to the left of
    the note.

    (The shape is like left ceiling and left floor, except even taller).

    My guess to its function must be incorrect, as I've seen many more
    examples where that interpretation wouldn't seem to make sense. However,
    these marks seem to always be appplied to the top note(s) on the base
    staff, and the lower voice on the treble staff.

    The same publication has one example of an L-shaped corner with *equal*
    sides, where the horizontal leg touches the note head, and the whole
    thing is 1/2 the height of the stem. Not sure whether that's different.

    (Sorry, no access to the scanner at this hour).