Re: U+00B0 vs. U+00BA (was: "Re: How to encode abbreviations")

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 10:40:23 CST

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio at tuvalkin dot web dot pt> wrote:

    > We have already noted in this list that, due to keyboard availability,
    > in France U+00B0 is often used where U+00BA is intended; in Portugal,
    > for identical reasons, the opposite occurs.

    Years ago I was informed by our French subsidiary at work that we MUST
    use U+004E U+00B0 to spell the abbreviation for "numéro," even after I
    pointed out that we had access to U+00BA (and thousands of other
    characters). That annoyed me no end, morally and typographically, but I
    was in no position to claim to know French usage better than they did.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA