How do I type unicode characters?

From: tom.kirkpatrick@virusbtn.com
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 02:47:17 CST

    Hello,

    I hope this is the right place to be asking this question... I'm
    relatively new to the world of Unicode and text encodings in general and
    am having a little trouble working exactly how I should be collecting
    information from web forms and how I should be entering this information
    into my database.

    I think there is one question that will shed some light on a lot of my
    problems...

    Which one of these looks like a proper UTF-8 character: é or é ?

    Basically, if I enter the character 'é' (egrave) into my database, when
    trying to display it on a webpage, it displays as a '?'. If I try to enter
    it as 'é' It displays ok. So does this mean that the correct way to type
    an 'é' is to actually type 'é'?

    many thanks in advance.
    Tom

    --