combining enclosing marks for multi-letter sequences; grapheme clusters

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 02:48:29 CST

    I try to understand whether "E" + CGJ + "s" + CGJ + "c" + U+20E3
    COMBINING ENCLOSING KEYCAP should produce a representation of an
    "Esc" key in plain text (given an appropriate font rendering
    mechanism).

    I refer to the phrase "The combining enclosing marks apply to a
    preceding default grapheme cluster." (printed edition of "The Unicode
    <standard V4.0", p.188).

    Does the Combining Grapheme Joiner (CGJ, U+034F) constitute a grapheme
    cluster in the sense of UAX 29 "Text boundaries"?
    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/
    I did not find any evidence there. (Maybe I overlooked something or
    searched in the wrong place?)

    Or is producing multi-letter key representations in plain text done
    by another mechanism as CGJ (e.g. ZWJ), or is it subject to higher level
    protocols at all?

    - Karl Pentzlin