Re: Welsh Collation

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 08:04:17 CST

    Debbie Garside wrote on Saturday, April 22, 2006 at 10:10 AM

    > I would be grateful if you could give me some guidance
    > as to how this could be achieved within MS Word (for instance).

    The man from Microsoft will answer this best, so here are my inexpert
    comments. Word XP is too old to have the new semantics built in, and it
    looks as though the Common Locale Data Repository Version 1.4 (due out 1st
    May) does not define Welsh collation - I hope I'm wrong. (This topic only
    sprang up because of interest in Burmese collation!)

    It is possible for users to add sorts to Word - there's a French package
    that provides multiple ways to sort Lao within Word. Using a
    non-linguistically tailored sort would save me a few hours a month if I knew
    how to do it.

    > Also, please highlight any problems that could be encountered.

    Untranslated English could cause problems. You'd probably have to make sure
    that 'Williams' without a CGJ always showed up as a spelling error. From
    the comments I found on the web, I'd say that practical sorting using
    dictionary look-up is too difficult. Things are easier if a working method
    of 'sort, check, patch by adding CGJ, resort' is acceptable, but its not
    very far from the 'sort, manually adjust' that I presume is being done now.

    CGJ in your outputs could cause problems on older equipment. It has a
    tendency to show up as the undefined glyph symbol. Firefox and Word XP do
    not render it, and some fonts have the appropriate glyph - a space of zero
    width. I would definitely avoid it in the delivered translation of a page
    bound for the Internet.

    Richard.