Strange Behavior by Win IE 6 displaying bad UTF-8

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 08:15:05 CST

    Recently I tried to view a web site in UTF-8 polytonic Greek, but it
    came up with a lot of question marks on all my Mac OS X browsers. So
    I had a close look at the source and sure enough, the UTF-8 bytes for
    the Greek Extended chars seemed to be wrong. When I asked the site
    author, he said everything displayed fine in Win IE. So I tried that
    and, sure enough, it did, despite the UTF-8 bytes appearing to be
    wrong.

    Can anyone tell me how this can happen? (Note: My version of Win IE
    6 is somewhat old, from 2001).

    Here is a test page that illustrates the problem, at least for my
    browsers. Win IE 6 displays the same character for both byte
    sequences, while my OS X browsers display question marks for the top
    one.

    http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/badutf8.html