Re: Unicode fonts

From: Sergiy Kuzmenko (s.kuzmenko@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 08:49:21 CST

    Some Unicode aware applications created for MS Windows (e.g., Texpad
    or SeruceCRT) refuse to correctly display content with multiple
    scripts: one always has to choose the script, so that you can have
    either Cyrillic or Western European but not both. I wonder why it is
    like that...

    I've noticed also there is a problem with displaying some Cyrillic
    characters in native Windows applications, such as IE or Notepad. For
    example instead of CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER IE WITH GRAVE (0x400) or
    CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BIG YUS (0x46a) I see only squares. Other
    applications (Mozilla, Opera, Python IDLE) display these characters
    faultlessly, although they are using the same system fonts. Is this
    because Windows has built-in supports only an older version of
    Unicode?

    PS: I tried it on Winodws XP Pro 2002 SP 2

    Thanks
    SK