Re: Unicode fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 23:37:14 CST

    From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    >> From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    >> Behalf Of Tommy Nordgren
    >
    >> I realizes that such a font would require a lot of hard disk and ram
    >> space. The context in which i want to use it is for editing plain
    >> unicode text files. Text editors can't display documents in multiple
    >> fonts depending on which script each character belongs to.
    >
    > Oh? Have you looked at Notepad any time in the past five years?

    More seriously, when Microsoft will review its existing Notepad implementation so that it will not be SO slow and computing intensive when just using the common search/replace function on text documents of very moderate size?

    * All seems to be performed using the GUI component that constantly attempts to refresh the view instead of working directly on the back-buffer.
    * And even within the GUI component used, the internal backbuffer is apparently not segmented which means that any insertion or deletion takes considerable time within memory copy loops
    These are good reasons why not using Notepad except for very small files (the limit ofusability is still below around 64KB, when using search/replace functions with lots of string match occurences, which is the most common use of this function, for me)...

    Other editors are then really needed that will support international text (notably for editing common XML files such as SVG images that embed Unicode text data...)