Re: 'No Character' symbol

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 18:58:39 CST

    MessageChristopher Key wrote:

    > I've read the FAQ, and looked through the charts, but can't find what
    > I'm looking for. What I'm trying to find is whether there is a
    > Unicode character that should be displayed when the font doesn't
    > contain a required character. In most applications, if a character is
    > requested that isn't available in the current font, most applications
    > will instead display an empty box. Essentially what I'm wondering is
    > whether this box symbol is application specific, or font specific, and
    > in the latter case, what the character symbol is. I'm aware of
    > U+FFFD, but this is to cover the situation where the desired character
    > isn't defined in Unicode, and hence is not what I'm looking for.

    What you're looking for is not a character, but a glyph. As such, it's
    out of scope for Unicode, a character encoding standard.

    Fonts can display anything they like for the .notdef glyph, and in fact
    it makes sense for that glyph *not* to correspond to any real character
    that the font does support, to reduce confusion.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA