RE: Win IE 7b2 and UTF-8

From: Keutgen, Walter (walter.keutgen@be.unisys.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 08:19:19 CDT

    Doug,

    my thought 'is it really better trying to make it better than
    the standards?' is a more general, which applies
    to all standardizing endeavors, certainly in IT.

    I am certainly not blaming Microsoft and the other browser providers
    that they try everything to make web surfing an easy activity.

    In this case clearly the server owners, authoring tool providers and authors
    are to blame. Is it really so difficult to comply with the HTML standard
    and tag correctly?

    If having the user selecting the correct encoding is unrealistic,
    because this is a step only professionals know about, what happens
    in that case to these French users to whom ideographs are presented, do
    they solve by guessing or just leave such web sites? If this selection
    capability is indeed mostly unknown, this is one more argument for the auto
    detection not to consider the ill-formed sequences as identifying a liberal
    variant of UTF-8. The HTML content has no suitable tag and contains bad UTF-8,
    that web site should be problematic to read, not others that are correct in
    another encoding.

    Best regards

    Walter